Since we had such an enthusiastic response from the community with our Summertime Salsa Contest, we have decided to host a PIE CONTEST to celebrate the Fall season! Did you know we’ll now be staying open through the month of October?
On October 13th, we will have a contest to find out who bakes the tastiest pies on the shore. We’re all excited about the arrival of fresh pumpkins, sweet potatoes, pecans, blueberries, apples as well as peaches and other fruit we canned or froze over the summer just waiting to be baked into a delicious pie.
To save the tastebuds of our judges from sugar-overload, we will be limiting the number of contestants to the first 15 to register. We’ll be requiring bakers to pre-register and pay a $10 fee to hold their spot on the Baker’s List. (Money raised with this fee will go toward planned improvements for the Market lot.)
Registered bakers must bring their pies to The Market by 10 am on Oct. 13th. Judging will commence and winners will be announced by 11 am. The public will be welcome to taste pies after judging has been completed.
The winner will receive a gift certificate to the Market along with a load of baking goodies. Plus, we’ll give them a lovely blue ribbon!
Our Esteemed Judges are:
Rebecca Eskridge of Becca’s Cakes and More (Tasley)
Lori Canales of the Yellow Duck Bakery Cafe (Exmore)
Annie Powell of Annie’s Restaurant (Parksley)
The Judgement Criteria:
- Local Ingredients (recipe will be displayed with pie noting origin of local ingredients)
- Pies must be homemade — this includes the crust! The pies must have at least one crust, and may have two.
- Entries should be traditional dessert or “sweet” pies (no savory pies or quiches).
- Local ingredients are highly encouraged and will be part of judgement criteria. This can include fruit or produce harvested earlier this year and frozen or canned.
- Bakers must bring a copy of the recipe — list origin of any local ingredients (ie, pumpkin from Wind Song Farm; pears from What A Pair; homegrown sweet potatoes; honey from Beekeepers Guild, etc.)
To Pre-Register, give your Name, Town, Phone #, Email to us by one of the following methods:
- Register in person at the Market Manager booth on Saturday
- Send an email to email@example.com
- Send a note to the Onancock Market’s P.O. Box 495, Onancock, VA 23417
- Call Market Manager Janet Fosque at (757) 787-1960
A pre-registration fee of $10 will be required to hold your slot on the Baker’s List. You can bring the fee when you register, mail it, or arrange this with the Manager via email/phone.
Photo credit: Flickr user browniesfordinner